Friday, April 13, 2012

My Favorite Dives

I love dive bars (See Issue #5), here are some of my favorites:
The Wilton House (Newark Ave, Hoboken)-The Wilton House is right smack in the middle of the "New" Hoboken but retains it old school charm.  It's got wood paneling, and most importantly, cheap drinks.  It's a classic bar in a town full of yuppies, hipsters, preppies and wannabees.

 Ralph's Tavern (Central Ave, Jersey City)-Although it's located right on the major thoroughfare in the neighborhood I've never seen more then two people in there - EVER.  Passed it 20 times then finally went in.  $1.75 Pints, $1.25 Mugs and $.50 short beers (7 oz).  Fifty fucking cents.  I love this place just for that reason.  They only got 2 TVs, 2 beers on tap and no more then 2 customers.  Classic shithole bar, but fifty cents is only fifty cents.

Oh-La-La-La’s (Main St., Bound Brook) - Titty bars can be dives also and this place is proof.  My friend lived with 2 of the dancers at Oh-La's so I got to know the bartenders, dancers, DJ and the bouncer.  We didn't even have to tip the chicks.  Let me tell you though, this place is really a dive.  Don't except to get excited in this place.  Cellulite, strechmarks, bad boob jobs, and dyed grey hair run rampant in this joint.  
Somerset Hotel (Main St, Somerville)-This place is rad, it’s really the only REAL bar left in Somerville.  They don't have any food, except maybe hot dogs from a crockpot, but they do have pool tables, questionable clientele, and a package goods department to rival some liquor stores.  It's also got sick cigarette burns in the Men's room.Rick's Tavern (First Ave, Raritan)-This place is a real hidden gem.  This place looks like a house, is off the beaten path (IE: less cops) and got no draft beer.  I'm not even really sure if they got a liquor license.  But you do have to see the empty patio outside because it's truly amazing.  Stop by and order a drink from either the owner(Rick) or a bartender that has no clue what the hell is going on.    Check this place out and it will amaze you that this place exists.

Court Tavern-(RIP, New Brunswick)-Yeah it was a music venue, sometimes, but it was a dive bar ALL of the time.  That place smelled, had warm beer, bathrooms that didn't work, it was hot in the Summer and cold in the Winter, plus a thousand other things that made that place the shittiest of shitty places to drink.  All that being said, I would trade every bar in New Brunswick to get the Court back.  No joke.  Sorry Ale and Witch, McCormick's, Tumulty's and the others, but some of the best times of my life, and many others I know, happened at this place.  Don't know if we'll ever have another place like that.
Riverside Tavern-(RIP, South Bound Brook) - You never forget your first love and this was it.  This place was located around the corner from where I grew up and was empty at night.  They had a sick lunch time and after work crowd but for some reason couldn't keep it crowded.  They had a huge bar, real darts (no plastic shit), food, and frosty mugs plus they had a side room that had a pool table (crooked as shit), 5-10 tables and about 8 TVs that was always empty.  I always knew the bartender's so I would get hooked there also.  It was a great place and I wish I could have shared a pitcher with you there.  Now it's a high end restraint.  Bullshit.

No comments:

Post a Comment